Monday, September 22, 2003

Material property

The road to the extinguishing of desire is a long one.

I have divested myself of much property. I've sold my house, my car and a great number of my possessions.

What is left is core to me. Some clothes, some cherished keepsakes from my travels, a digital camera, a video camera and of course my computer.

This has traveled with me from the UK and contains music digitally copied from my own CDs.

With my drive to dis-possession, buying new property has to me become almost anathema. Therefore it has been interesting for me to purchase a new computer.

Today, I bought an Apple powerBook. It is a symbol to me. After 15 years using PC's I have deliberately chosen a Macintosh because it better supports my creativity. It marks where I have come from and my journey onward in the Long Now.

I don't want for much. I don't need for much. Very slowly, little by little, I am letting go of material desires.

...Even if I am buying the occasional big ticket item!

No comments: