Sunday, September 07, 2003

Communion

I am finding special moments in the now. Like Saturday.

The long week ended and Friday evening I joined my beloved L. to catch a movie at the Dendy in Martin Place.

Saturday morning we awoke early and enjoyed a simple breakfast of coffee and home made muffins (courtesy of L.) before heading over to the University of NSW open day. I was not impressed with neither the campus nor the course -- Melbourne still beckons.

L. didn't feel well upon returning to her place. She cocooned herself in a blanket and fell asleep on the sofa.

While she rested, I retired to the kitchen and made bread.

Without haste, I prepared the ingredients: Organic wholemeal wheat flour, yeast, brown sugar, salt, olive oil. Seeds: Pumkin, poppy, sunflower and lin. The Wet and the dry combined to become a sticky mass. Very soon it became dough; pleasingly pliable in my firm hands. For ten minutes I stretched and kneaded the elastic ball.

I left it to prove and I checked on L. who had the beginnings of a fever. Considering the significance for me of the this time, I didn't not over react. But her illness and reaction to it was a reminder of how far I have progressed these last two years.

After an hour I returned to my bread making. The dough had risen to twice it's original size, like some creature from a 50's horror movie. I turned out the dough, savoring the odor of the working yeast and enjoying the slow deflation of the mass. Some more kneading and before transfering it to the tin ready for a second rising and then baking.

By 20:00 L. had awoken, her fever burning her skin with a red flush. She felt cold, so I got her another blanket.

We feasted on chicken soup and fresh bread, before retiring early and sleeping a full and restfull night.

No comments: