Monday, September 08, 2003

The Gift

Someone was handing out DVD boxes at Town Hall station yesterday morning. Still conditioned to the psychology of "free", I accepted one, reaching out for it like a famished child grasping at a handful of rice.

The box was covered in tiny adverts for consumer electronics. I opened it with a sense of expectation, hoping to be surprised, only to be cynically rewarded: it was empty. Without pausing I deposited it on a convenient ledge as I descended the steps into the station. Nearby, there were other such the plastic and paper carcasses.

How many people threw their "gift" away? How much of a response justifies such wanton waste in the pursuit of sharholder value?

When will I break my own conditioning?

When will people awaken and see how they are being manipulated?

How much is enough?

No comments: